Saturday, March 04, 2006

Leaving Oxfam America

I'm leaving my job at Oxfam America on Friday, March 10.

My colleagues are organizing a leaving party roast at the West Street Grille on West Street in Boston (near Downtown Crossing). It's on Thursday, March 9, starting at 5.30pm.

If you live in the Boston Hub, you may have received the evite already. If not, email me and I'll put you on the guest list. In any case, please just show up anyway. You are sure to have a good time.

Some of you may have even linked to my blog for the first time following the link in that evite. If you are reading this for the first time, welcome! Please come back from time to time.

Why am I leaving Oxfam, do I hear you ask?

I'm a little burned out after nearly four years at Oxfam. One sign of that burnout is that I have four weeks of not-taken vacation. I took only one week off last year and that was my honeymoon in May.

I'm also very interested in several opportunities both full-time and consulting. I already have some consulting work lined up and I'm applying for jobs around the country. More about my interest in San Francisco and Washington DC in a later post!

I will receive my untaken vacation time as cash. That gives me some time and a bit more of a cushion while I relax and do a proper job hunt.

The week of March 11-18, I will spend the week acting as the advance man for Ko Bo Kyi, a Burmese former political prisoner, who is doing a speaking tour of New England that week:
http://www.uscampaignforburma.org/action/student.html

The week of March 20 is when I start some consulting work.

That's all for now. I'll post later as I embark on a serious job hunt.

I'm definitely landing on my feet.

Playlist: Talking Heads "Sand in the Vaseline"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home