Wednesday, July 07, 2004

We're So Happy To Be, Back in the ... Netherlands

I'm back in the Hague for Oxfam meeting that was postponed last month.

This is the time of year when the Powers-That-Be of The Hague feel the need to erect surreal sculptures all over town.

Last month, in a park near the Parliament building, I found my favorite. It is a gaggle of what appears to be rotund middle-aged men made of cold white plastic. The fat white guys now have little flashing lights deep inside them that wink on and off.

Remember that Star Trek episode, in which Kirk's tiny soul is put into a globe, where it glows faintly? It's a bit like that.

There are also transparent plastic dresses hanging from the trees. It's very surreal. It's like a Dali picture brought to life.

I visited the Peace Palace, home to the International Court of Justice. I was hoping to join a sight-seeing trip. However, the entrance guard told me that the tours don't start until next week. It's a shame. For some time, I have wanted to view the site of the future trials of Henry Kissinger and George Bush.

I called my friends Dorothy and Gijs. Dorothy is throwing a Canada Day party on Saturday afternoon. Celebrating Canada Day in Amsterdam seems to fit well with the surreality of the sculptures in The Hague.

I love the Netherlands.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home