Tuesday, May 18, 2004

Always the Bridesmaid

Four years ago I was interviewed for a film entitled "The Corporation." The filmmaker, Mark Achbar, arranged to meet me when I was in London. I was there to move a resolution on climate change at the BP annual shareholder meeting.

Mark interviewed me in a dilapidated house in Islington in front of a black backdrop. I can't have been particularly coherent because the filmmakers apparently left my interview on the cutting room floor.

A few months ago I learned that the film had been released. It's more than just a movie; it's also accompanied by an informative website and a book entitled "The Corporation: the Pathological Pursuit of Profit and Power" written by Joel Bakan.

The film examines corporate power. In the United States, corporations have legal status as persons. However, the film argues that if corporations were people, they would be judged psychopathic.

The film has already won the Audience Award at the Sundance Film Festival. It should be in your town soon. Although I did not merit a spot in the film, I was quoted in the book.

I've become used to being cut out of films. Sanford Lewis once interviewed me for his film "Off The Books." Unfortunately I was left out of this Citizen Kane of corporate environmental disclosure documentaries.

My consolation in this case was that I ended up speaking and showing the film to my local Amnesty chapter in Somerville. That was in November of 2002 and that is where I met first met Ann.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home