Tuesday, January 13, 2004

The Belly of the Buddha Sure Beats the Belly of the Beast

I've started reading "Faith: Trusting Your Own Deepest Experience" by Sharon Salzberg. This is as part of "Buddha's Belly" - the Buddhist reading group at the Arlington Street Church.

At a time when I find myself in a cycle of anxious self-doubt, the book is both enlightening and calming. I found this passage particularly spoke to me:

"The Buddha said, 'Faith is the beginning of all good things.' No matter what we encounter in life, it is faith that enables us to try again, to trust again, to love again....Faith links our present day experience, whether wonderful or terrible, to the underlying pulse of life itself."

That's my New Year's resolution: to trust myself and try again. Hopefully this resolve will work with the elliptical trainer at the gym.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home