Friday, October 31, 2003

Progressive Friends in the News

This week, in its "Best of Boston" feature, the Boston Phoenix listed Citizens for Participation in Political Action (CPPAX) as the sole organization featured amongst this year's "local heroes" for its contribution to progressive politics in Massachusetts.

I've been proud to serve on the board of CPPAX for a few years. If like what you read of the work of CPPAX, please consider joining.

Today, the New York Times published a letter from my friend, Andrew Shalit. Here's what he said:

To the Editor:

As an American leftist who opposes the war in Iraq, I can assure Thomas L. Friedman (column, Oct. 30) that I do not think the bombers there are local freedom fighters struggling to end a foreign occupation.

That is not why I oppose the war. I oppose the war because, as in Vietnam, it was justified dishonestly and cannot be won by present means. We cannot create a democracy in Iraq with military power and wishful thinking, even if we do have more of those things than any other country in the world.

ANDREW SHALIT
Somerville, Mass., Oct. 30, 2003

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home