Thursday, May 01, 2003

Intriguing Book

Today I perused a colleague's copy of "Full Frontal PR" by Richard Laermer. The following quote jumped out at me:

"The best people in PR are not PR types at all. They understand they are not censors ... they are the company's best conversationalists. Their job - their craft - is to discern stories the market actually wants to hear, to help journalists write stories that tell the truth, to bring people into conversation rather than protect them from it."
- Doc Searls, The Cluetrain Manifesto: The End of Business As Usual (2000)

After I read that quote, I realized that it described almost uncannily how I work with journalists.

Over the years, I've learned how to pitch a story to the press. It involves taking a story and a set of facts that appeal to a particular journalist or a specific news outlet. Telling the truth - and the whole truth - is mandatory because with the press your credibility is your main currency.

Those points are self-evident to anyone who works with the press. But the idea that this work is essentially a public conversation is a new concept to me. It makes tremendous sense and it intrigues me.

I've found another important book to read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home