Thursday, April 17, 2003

Capacity Building and Your Parents

My parents don't have a computer. They have never used a PC.

I have been trying to persuade them to learn how to use email and the web. If they were on email, I could write them every day. If they were on the web, they could read this blog.

I faxed my parents a memo last week to persuade them to get on the web....

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

From: Your Darling Son in America
To: Mum & Dad
Re: Reading my Web Diary
Date: April 7, 2003

Dear Mum & Dad:

Here’s how you can read my web log, or on-line diary.

I update the diary pretty much every day so it’s an excellent way to keep in touch with my whereabouts.

Go to the Edenbridge Public Library. The library offers free access to the Internet.

Tell the librarian that you are hopelessly Internet-illiterate. Ask her to show you how to:

1. Open up a web browser. (Tell the librarian that my web diary is best viewed through 'Internet Explorer' and not 'Netscape.')
2. Open up my web diary using this “URL,” or web address: http://simonbillenness.blogspot.com
3. Scroll up and down the page
4. Click on to links to other pages and then go back to my page. (My web diary contains links to several other web sites.)
5. Set up a free web-based email account through Hotmail or Yahoo. (That way we could exchange email!)

This is all pretty straight forward stuff. I think you and Dad would enjoy the information and resources that you can find on the web.

All my best,

Simon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home