Saturday, April 05, 2003

Aujourd'hui, Nous Sommes Tous Francais

The tap water here at the William Penn Hotel is awful-tasting. To avoid drinking it, I have been buying Evian instead.

These days, whenever I write a few bon mots or whenever I buy food or drink, I slip in a few French words or French products. Aside from the Evian water, I'm now enjoying the practice of drinking red wine in the afternoons ... or any time really. It's my reaction against the pro-war Americans who are boycotting French goods, which, in turn, is partly a reaction against those, particularly in Muslim countries, who are boycotting American goods. This war has turned shopping into another battlefield.

Of course, a few years ago, I was boycotting French goods over the French government's nuclear tests in the Pacific.

Times change.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home